Carrageenan is a natural additive commonly used in most canned dog foods due to its ability to thicken, emulsify, and fill wet dog foods. Besides causing gastrointestinal inflammation, carrageenan also heightens the risk for heart disease, various cancers, and even dementia. This means that as a pet parent, carrageenan-free canned dog foods can keep Fido happy!
The best canned dog foods without carrageenan include the Weruva Paw Licking Chicken in Gravy Canned Dog Food, Whole Earth Farms Grain-Free Chicken & Turkey Canned Dog Food, Merrick Grain-Free Wet Dog Food, and the American Journey Diet Chicken & Sweet Potato Canned Dog Food.
Are you curious to know more about the safest canned dog foods for your canine companion? If so, then you couldn’t be in a better place. Read on as we examine five carrageenan-free canned dog foods that should be at the top of your list.
Table of Contents
Weruva is among the most trusted dog food manufacturers, courtesy of its strict adherence to international dog food processing standards. This recipe features skinless, boneless, and tender chicken breast and is designed to supplement your best friend with high-quality protein for proper growth and muscle formation.
Since the Weruva Paw Lickin Chicken in Gravy Canned Dog Food doesn’t contain any additives, it is among the best options to get your canine companion if he has a sensitive tummy. This recipe is gluten-free, grain-free, and — most importantly — carrageenan-free.
- Contains added minerals and vitamins to make the wet dog food a sufficiently balanced diet for your pup
- Can be served as a topper for dry kibble or as a standalone diet
- Ideal for all dog breeds and life stages
- Contains minimal carbs and is easy to consume due to its high moisture content
- Costlier than most canned dog foods
This corn, wheat, and soy-free canned dog food is best-suited for adult dogs and contains chicken and turkey as the first ingredients. The vitamin E, B12, D3, and A supplements ensure your dog’s immunity and overall health improves the more he laps up this canned dog food.
It contains easy-to-digest ingredients and protein-rich chicken and turkey, which act as the recipe’s primary protein source. The added sage, thyme, rosemary, and blueberries only add to the recipe’s nutritional value, making it a great purchase for your dog’s mealtimes.
- Suitable for small, large, and medium breeds
- Contains human-grade chicken and turkey
- Ingredients sourced and cooked in America
- Doesn’t contain corn, soy, carrageenan, or soy
- Might be a little too wet for Fido’s liking
Merrick needs no introduction when it comes to the production of high-quality dry and wet dog food. As expected, they didn’t disappoint with this canned dog food that contains a wonderful blend of proteins and vegetables.
Featuring a savory gravy infused with quality beef broth, the Merrick Grain-Free Wet Dog Food Cowboy Cookout comes packed with green beans, granny smith apples, and carrots to complement its USDA-inspected deboned beef.
- Features USDA-inspected deboned beef as the primary ingredient
- Doesn’t contain any artificial flavors, by-products, and preservatives
- Ideal for different types of breeds
- Easy to pull cans, making mealtime preparation a breeze
- Not suitable for puppies
As the name suggests, this canned dog food contains limited ingredients to reduce the chances of uncomfortable allergic reactions. It contains high-quality ingredients, making it a great option for food-sensitive dogs with delicate GI tracts.
Offering real chicken as the main ingredient, your pup is almost certainly guaranteed to meet those protein recommendations when consuming this recipe. The grain-free recipe is also corn, soy, and wheat-free. Nor does it contain carrageenan, making it a safe option for all pups.
- Comes packed in BPA non-intent cans for added safety
- Contains limited ingredients to reduce the chances of allergic reactions
- Doesn’t contain any additives
- Ideal for food-sensitive dogs
- Contains sweet potatoes as the main source of complex carbohydrates, thus keeping your dog energetic at all times
- Contains essential amino acids (for lean muscles) and omega-3 and 6 for coat and skin development
- Doesn’t come with a flavorful burst, making it hard for some dogs to consume with ease
- Not ideal for puppies
This canned dog food by Canidae is among the best options for multi-dog households. It contains a simple blend of ingredients that makes it safe for dogs in different life stages, from puppyhood to the golden years. Containing real chicken as the first ingredient, your furry sidekick is bound to receive the required protein levels for normal, healthy growth.
The Canidae All Life Stages Chicken & Rice Formula Canned Dog Food also contains crucial vitamin supplements (A, B12, D3, E). It doesn’t contain wheat, soy, or carrageenan, making it a great pick for all types of dogs.
- Corn, soy, wheat, pea, and carrageenan-free
- Comes with a welcoming, flavorful broth to complement the real chicken
- The recipe is formulated by board-certified vets
- Ideal for canine companions of all sizes, breeds, and ages, making it perfect for multi-pooch homes
- Relatively costly compared to similar-sized dog foods
Carrageenan is a well-known food additive snuck into the human and pet food industries for several years now. It’s a well-known texturizer, stabilizer, and thickener in wet canned dog foods. With that in mind, you’ll most likely find carrageenan in loaf-type and pate dog foods as it helps give them a firm consistency.
Below are some medical issues associated with regular usage of dog foods with carrageenan:
Carrageenan is known to wreak havoc on the dog and human digestive systems. On most occasions, dogs with sensitive stomachs usually sense gastric inflammation when they consume dog foods that contain this ingredient as an additive. Besides inflammation, your pup can develop ulcers, lesions, and even intestinal damage.
Carrageenan is also commonly associated with reduced immunity levels in dogs. When introduced to your pup’s body, he’ll naturally react with an immediate immune response and attempt to fight carrageenan as a harmful substance.
This response can lead to inflammation, which could negatively affect the immune system, decreasing its ability to fight other common diseases. As a result, you should avoid giving your dogs, especially puppies and seniors with relatively lower immunities, any foods containing carrageenan.
Most dog food manufacturers insist that undegraded carrageenan is safe when added to dog food. However, there is no research or study that proves undegraded carrageenan adds any benefit or value when used in dog foods other than giving them a firm consistency.
Avoid using any pet food that contains any form of carrageenan (whether undegraded or degraded). Degraded carrageenan, for instance, is well known as a low-quality additive that will almost certainly react when dogs with sensitive tummies chow down!
While most canned dog foods are manufactured with carrageenan as part of the ingredients, some high-quality dog food products don’t include the potentially harmful ingredient in their recipes.
All the products mentioned in the list above don’t contain carrageenan, making them safe for regular consumption. It’s crucial to note that canned dog food recipes tend to change over time, so you should always check the ingredients to know the exact components in your preferred canned dog food.
- All About Dog Food: Carrageenan in dog food
- I and Love and You: Is Carrageenan Dangerous For Pets?
- VCA Hospitals: Gastritis in Dogs
- Wag Walking: Carrageenan in Your Dog’s Food
Mrdogfood.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. We also participate in other affiliate programs which compensate us for referring traffic.