Big or small, young or old, dogs bring joy into the lives of those around them. Keeping your furry companion happy and healthy is the number one priority for all dog owners and the correct dog food is essential for every breed. Chiweenies are friendly dogs that make for great companions, but what kind of food should you feed them?
The best dog food for Chiweenies should be a premium dry kibble formulated for the age of your dog, and it is recommended that these lovely little dogs eat food specialized for small breeds. Chiweenies also have a few health issues that can be mitigated through a healthy diet and regular exercise.
In this article, we will look at these fun-loving little companions and provide a list of high-quality food brands that are sure to keep your Chiweenie happy, healthy, and coming back for more.
A cross between a Dachshund and a Chihuahua, the Chiweenie isn’t officially recognized by the American Kennel Club since it is classified as a hybrid breed. A Chiweenie’s physical characteristics can vary a bit from one litter to the next since they are an offspring of two different purebred dogs,
Secondary breeding with other Chiweenies is not recommended, as this can often lead to the reemergence of negative traits associated with both of the parent breeds.
It isn’t surprising that Chiweenies have the affectionate personalities, energetic dispositions, and playfulness that their parent breeds are known for.
Chiweenies make great companions for single people, couples with older children, and seniors. However, they are not the best breed for households with small children as they can be easily irritated by loud noises.
Your Chiweenie will follow you around the house, always keen on a bit of play, unless they are snuggled up in your lap. They also make great alarm dogs that will alert you to any unexpected visitors with sharp barks, and their small size makes Chiweenies a great choice for traveling professionals.
It is worth noting that early socialization will have massive effects on your Chiweenie’s personality and disposition, and this process is especially important for multiple pet households as well as environments with younger children. However, with socialization beginning in puppy-hood, Chiweenies can adapt to almost any living situation.
Every dog needs a balanced diet that provides them with the protein, fats, vitamins, and minerals necessary to remain happy and vital.
Just like you and me, the quality of the protein your Chiweenie eats has an effect on their health and well being. Despite their diminutive stature, Chiweenies are descended from wolves. Proteins should come from animal sources to ensure the digestibility and bioavailability of nutrients.
Besides protein, fats form the backbone of your Chiweenie’s diet. Once again, animal-based fats are better for your dog’s digestive tract and are more bioavailable.
Carbohydrates are not necessary for your Chiweenie’s diet, although they can provide important nutrients, like Vitamin-B and most dog foods contain some form of carbohydrates. When looking at dog foods, whole-grain carbohydrates are better than refined types. Brown rice, oatmeal, and whole wheat are examples.
It is also important to understand the different stages of your dog’s life and their dietary requirements as they grow and mature.
Like all dogs, your Chiweenie will be growing very fast as a puppy, and their diet must reflect this rapid development. Specialized foods designed for puppies will supply your Chiweenie with protein (minimum 22%) and fat (minimum 8%). It is also important to keep your growing pup fed to prevent low blood sugar, and feeding then 4 times a day is a good strategy.
As your puppy matures into an adult, their fat and protein requirements will level off at around 18% and 5%, although continued monitoring is important to ensure that your dog is not gaining too much weight. They can also switch to a 3 per day feeding schedule with an emphasis on high quality, lean protein.
As your Chiweenie transitions from adulthood to a senior, it is important to keep an eye on their weight. Many people choose to reduce portion sizes, and switching to a low-fat diet can be a reasonable choice for dogs suffering from weight issues.
Now that we have a better understanding of general dog food nutritional requirements and specific Chiweenie traits, we can look at some of the most popular choices of Chiweenie dog food on the market.
Nutro Wholesome Essentials Small Breed Adult Farm-Raised Chicken, Brown Rice & Sweet Potato Recipe Dry Dog Food
- This is an option that is designed for small breeds and is well suited to a Chiweenie diet.
- A dry food, this kibble provides protein in the form of farm-raised chicken and adds brown rice and sweet potatoes to increase fiber content that can aid in your Chiweenie’s digestion.
- Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids will keep your Chiwenenie’s coat glossy and skin healthy.
- Made in the USA, All ingredients are non-GMO, and no artificial preservatives, flavors, or chicken by-products are used in the recipe.
- Price: $1.78/lbs
- Another recipe designed for small breeds, this all-organic dog food uses free-range chickens to provide your Chiweenie with high-quality, bioavailable protein.
- Sweet potatoes and peas, and probiotic fiber, ensure your Chiweenie will have no trouble digesting this bite-sized kibble.
- This recipe includes organic flaxseed, blueberries, and coconut oil to form a nutritious superfood that provides important vitamins and minerals to keep your Chiweenie healthy and happy for years to come.
- The recipe contains no whey, grain, or soy that can lead to your furry friend’s digestive issues.
- Price: $3.82/lbs
Instinct Raw Boost Small Breed Grain-Free Recipe With Real Duck & Freeze-Dried Raw Pieces Dry Dog Food
- Unlike the first recipes we’ve looked at, this dog food uses free-range duck as its primary protein source. This food also incorporates freeze-dried pieces of raw duck to increase protein content and stimulate lean muscle development in your Chiweenie.
- 100% grain-free to ensure your Chiweenie can digest the food without issue.
- This recipe provides several minerals, including calcium and phosphorus for strong teeth and bones and glucosamine and chondroitin for healthy joints.
- Made in the USA, this recipe uses high-quality, bio-available ingredients that will have your dog wagging their tail at every meal.
- Price: $5.59/lbs
- A great choice for the early days with your Chiweenie, this recipe was developed specifically for small breed puppies.
- With 31% protein content provided by chicken, this is a good choice to keep your Chiweenie puppy on its optimal development path.o
- Several supplemental nutrients, like omega-6 fatty acids, calcium, and DHA will keep your Chiweenie’s coat, skin, teeth, bones healthy, and aid in their early cognitive development.
- Produced in the USA, this recipe contains no artificial preservatives, colors or flavors.
- Price: $3.32/lbs
- Not specifically designed for small breeds, this is a recipe developed with aging and senior dogs in mind.
- With chicken as the first ingredient, this recipe will provide your senior Chiweenie with the protein they need to remain vital in their later years.
- The addition of essential oils will help your dog remain alert, and the natural presence of glucosamine will improve the health of your Chiweenie’s joints as they enter their senior years.
- Smaller, bite-sized, kibble makes this choice easier for older dogs to chew since dental issues often arise.
- Price: $1.01/lbs
- While not specifically designed for older dogs, this recipe was created for dogs with sensitive stomachs, making it a good option for senior Chiweenies.
- This high-protein and the grain-free recipe has turkey as its first ingredient and is a good option for Chiwenie’s with digestive issues or food allergies.
- The protein content is increased, and the flavor improved with the addition of freeze-dried bites of raw turkey that your Chiweenie is sure to love.
- Produced in the USA, this brand uses only the highest quality ingredients.
- Price: $4.74/lbs
- Another grain-free option, this recipe was developed specifically for small breeds.
- This high-protein dog food uses several novel sources to provide your Chiweenie with the energy they need. Venison is the main ingredient, with lamb, eggs, and fish providing bioavailable protein to promote lean muscle development in your companion.
- Probiotics are used to improve digestive processes, making it a good choice for dogs with sensitive stomachs.
- It is made in the USA with the highest quality ingredients by a family-owned business.
- Price: $2.79/lbs
Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet Small Breed Grain-Free Turkey Recipe Freeze-Dried Raw Coated Dry Dog Food
- This is a great choice for Chiweenies that experience the difficulties associated with food allergies.
- Using turkey as their sole protein, the purposely limited ingredients, let owners of allergic dogs know what their Chiweenie is eating.
- Phosphorous, glucosamine, and chondroitin are all used to improve your dog’s joints and overall health.
- 35% protein and 14.5% fat makes this a good option for younger dogs that may already have allergies but need high protein levels for early development.
- Price: $4.99/lbs
- Another great option for Chiweenies with allergies, this all-natural recipe gets its protein from cage-free chickens.
- Non-GMO cranberries, carrots, blueberries, and sweet potatoes deliver essential antioxidants and important vitamins that will keep your Chiweenie happy and healthy.
- A proprietary supplement packed full of omega fatty acids is added to improve your pet’s skin and give them a full and glossy coat.
- Made in the USA, this recipe contains no meat-meals, artificial preservatives, hormones, or antibiotics.
- Price: $5.02/lbs
FirstMate Small Bites Chicken Meal with Blueberries Formula Limited Ingredient Diet Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
- This is another limited ingredient diet (LID) recipe that is designed specifically for small breeds.
- Free-range chicken provides the single source protein, and the grain-free recipe makes this a great choice for Chiweenies with sensitive stomachs or allergic issues with other protein sources.
- A healthy dose of blueberries is used to give this dog food the antioxidants that improve the immune system, urinary tract, and overall health of your Chiweenie and provide nutritional fiber to improve digestion.
- Made in Canada using high-quality ingredients.
- Price: $3.32/lbs
- This recipe, designed for small and toy breeds, uses protein-rich lamb to give your Chiweenie the nutrients and energy they need to remain healthy and vital.
- Cranberries provide antioxidants while sweet potatoes give your pet nutritional fiber that can aid in digestion.
- Nutrient-rich superfoods and omega fatty acids are added to improve your dog’s overall health and immune system.
- The smaller kibble makes it a good choice for smaller Chiweenies as well as senior dogs.
- Price: $4.49/lbs
Now that we have an idea of some of the best dog foods for your Chiweenie, it is a good time to address some of the health issues specific to these happy go lucky little dogs.
Like Chihuahuas, allergies are one of the most common health issues to afflict Chiweenies. These are some of the symptoms and their possible remedies:
- Excessive scratching
- Hair loss
- Dry skin
- Watery eyes
If your Chiweenie is experiencing any of these symptoms, a veterinarian should be consulted to determine the root cause of your dog’s allergies.
Along with common irritants such as fleas and dust mites, your Chiweenie may be particularly sensitive to additives and artificial flavoring or preservatives. Hence, an all-natural and GMO-free food is a great step to reduce your dog’s discomfort. Recipes with omega fatty acids and essential oils can be particularly helpful in this regard.
Keeping a clean household and practicing regular grooming will reduce the likelihood of fleas and other pests and will make for a happier, healthier life for your furry friend.
It is also worth noting that, similar to humans who develop allergies later in life, dogs who haven’t experienced allergies doesn’t mean that they won’t at some point, so examining this phenomenon is a good idea for all Chiweenie owners.
Like many small dogs, Chiweenies are prone to obesity if their diet and feeding habits go unchecked. Obesity increases the likelihood of a host of other health issues. Maintaining a healthy and active lifestyle for your pet is the first step in ensuring they live a long and happy life.
Along with feeding your Chiweenie a balanced and healthy dog food, many owners and breeders recommend enforcing a regimented feeding schedule. If allowed to free-feed, Chiweenies tend to overeat, which can quickly spiral out of control for an indoor dog with fewer opportunities to exercise.
Feeding two to three times a day, limiting treats and snacks, and engaging in vigorous play will help your Chiweenie maintain healthy body weight.
This condition is inherited from the Dachshund side of the Chiweenie family tree and arises from the long body and weak musculature supporting the spine.
- This condition is genetic, and if it occurs to your pup, a veterinarian may recommend anti-inflammatories or pain relievers. If the case is serious enough, surgery may be required.
- Keeping your Chiweenie fit and active early in life is a good way to reduce this genetic disorder.
Another genetic condition, hypothyroidism, is an endocrine disorder caused by a dysfunction in the production of hormones by the thyroid.
- Weight Gain
- Hair Loss
- Muscle Loss
If your Chiweenie exhibits these symptoms, consult a veterinarian about treatment options. Hormone replacement therapy has been shown to treat hypothyroidism in Chiweenies effectively.
This is a disorder that is common in Chihuahuas and, subsequently, Chiweenies.
Due to low body fat, Chiweenies may experience low blood sugar as their body consumes sugars in the bloodstream to meet nutritional needs. This leads to the shivering and lethargy characteristic of the condition.
Once again, proper diet and controlled feeding schedules can help reduce the effects of hypoglycemia in your Chiweenie, though if the condition continues, a veterinarian should be consulted.
Chiweenies are lovely dogs that make for excellent companions given the right circumstances and attention. Along with early socialization, a balanced and healthy diet is one of the most important ways to ensure that your Chiweenie gets the most out of their friendship with you.
These different dog food brands provide a wide variety of options, and you are sure to find a recipe that fits your Chiweenie’s tastes and nutritional requirements as well as your budget.
If your furry friend is exhibiting any symptoms of the health conditions that are common among Chiweenies, do not hesitate to contact your local veterinarian.
- Petguide: Chiweenie
- University of Texas at Austin: Tough Love: How Breeding Practices are Making Sicker Dogs
- I Love My Chi: 7 Key tips for Socializing Your Chihuahua
- Wikipedia: Bioavailability
- Wikipedia: Genetically Modified Food
- Dogster: Do Dogs Need Carbohydrates?
- Chewy: Nutro Wholesome Essentials Small Breed Adult Farm-Raised Chicken, Brown Rice & Sweet Potato Recipe Dry Dog Food
- Chewy: Castor & Pollux Organix Grain-Free Organic Small Breed Recipe Dry Dog Food
- Chewy: Instinct Raw Boost Small Breed Grain-Free Recipe with Real Duck & Freeze-Dried Raw Pieces Dry Dog Food
- Chewy: Purina Pro Plan Focus Puppy Toy Breed Formula Dry Dog Food
- Chewy: Purina ONE SmartBlend Vibrant Maturity 7+ Adult Formula Dry Dog Food
- Chewy: Wellness CORE RawRev Grain-Free Small Breed Original Recipe with Freeze-Dried Turkey Dry Dog Food
- Chewy: Taste of the Wild Appalachian Valley Small Breed Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
- Chewy: Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet Small Breed Grain-Free Turkey Recipe Freeze-Dried Raw Coated Dry Dog Food
- Chewy: Halo Holistic Chicken & Chicken Liver All Life Stages Small Breed Dry Dog Food
- Chewy: FirstMate Small Bites Chicken Meal with Blueberries Formula Limited Ingredient Diet Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
- Chewy: Solid Gold Mighty Mini Lamb, Sweet Potato & Carrot Toy & Small Breed Recipe Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
Mrdogfood.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. We also participate in other affiliate programs which compensate us for referring traffic.
Salt, or sodium chloride, is a core ingredient in nutrition that plays a critical role in human health. Undoubtedly, it is one of the oldest and most popular forms of food seasoning. Nonetheless,...
Cats and dogs are such popular staples of the American household that we sometimes forget how different they are. This is especially true for their food; it is perfectly normal to wonder if there are...