Purina Pro Plan and Taste of the Wild are two of the most popular dog food brands on the market. Both of them boast high protein without many fillers. Your dog is sure to enjoy both brands with a variety of flavors to choose from, but how are you supposed to know which one you should choose?
When it comes to Purina Pro Plan vs. Taste of the Wild, Taste of the Wild is generally believed to be the better of the two. It has more protein, fewer fillers, and bold flavors. Purina Pro Plan is cheaper with a wider variety of options. It’s also more readily available than Taste of the Wild.
Throughout this article, you’ll learn the following information about the pros and cons of Purina Pro Plan and Taste of the Wild:
- Nutritional value of both types of dog food
- The flavor varieties and texture
- Affordability and other details
Should You Choose Purina Pro Plan?
As mentioned above, Purina is a top choice among dog owners across the world. It’s known for healthy, wholesome, delicious ingredients that your dog will love. However, there are a few downsides that should be mentioned. In this section, we’ll explore the pros and cons of choosing the Purina Pro Plan for your dog.
Here they are:
Purina Pro Plan
- The first ingredient in most varieties of Purina Pro Plan is meat. Rather than using fillers to stuff their dry food like many other companies, Purina focuses on adding quality ingredients to ensure that your dog is getting exactly what they need. Down the road, this process promotes healthy muscle growth and cognitive functioning.
- According to Dog Food Advisor, Purina Pro Plan uses plenty of water in its ingredients as well. Even the dry food is semi-hydrated, which allows your dog to absorb the nutrients much easier. When there’s plenty of water in a food source, it helps with the optimal digestive.
- Purina Pro Plan is affordable dog food, despite the fact that it uses high-quality ingredients. Unlike the vast majority of top-shelf pet food companies, Purina doesn’t charge too much to allow your dog to eat healthily. For this reason, many pet owners tend to lean towards them.
- They added fish oil to the food. Fish oil is known to promote healthy heart functioning, which is especially important in large dog breeds. They tend to have trouble with heart issues as they get older, but fish oil can help regulate them. Also, it’s good for lubricating heart valves.
- It’s high in essential vitamins and minerals. Many other dog food brands neglect to add extra ingredients, such as garlic oil, that help to provide everything your dog needs. Rather than skipping out on quality in place of fillers, Purina Pro Plan has everything your dog could want to stay healthy.
- It has a little bit less protein than other brands of the same price. Although the protein used is high-quality, it’s a few grams less. The difference is negligible, so it’s not that big of a deal unless your dog is on a high-protein diet. Doctor recommendations may influence the importance of the differential, though.
- Corn is often one of the main ingredients in most types of Purina Pro Plan. In low doses, it’s not too bad. However, it’s an added filler that can contribute to digestive issues in dogs with sensitive stomachs. Large breeds, including German Shepherds and different types of Labradors, are susceptible to such problems.
- Despite the fact that it’s very affordable compared to other high-end dog food, it’s not considered cheap. You should expect to spend more than average since other dog foods come with inexpensive fillers. These fillers can shorten your dog’s lifespan, though, so it’s good to stick with something like Purina Pro Plan, still.
What About Taste of the Wild?
Taste of the Wild is another top contender for wet and dry dog food. They’re known for incredible flavor, all-natural ingredients, and easy digestion for your dog. Whatever you’re reasoning is for wanting this brand, you can’t go wrong with it. In this section, we’ll break down all of the good and bad traits of Taste of the Wild.
Here they are:
Taste of the Wild
- The flavor and texture of this brand are second to none in the eyes of many pet owners. If you want your dog to enjoy all aspects of their meals, then you’re in the right place. There are many different flavors to choose from so you can find out exactly what your dogs are looking for.
- Taste of the Wild has more protein than most other dog food brands, including Purina Pro Plan. Those who want to optimize their dog’s chances of growing strong and healthy should always want more protein in their diet. It’s an essential building block for their growth, which is why so many people choose this brand.
- As mentioned by Pet Blo, Taste of the Wild has different types of food for every stage of your dog’s life. Whether they’re newborns, growing puppies, adults, or pregnant, there’s something for them to enjoy. Getting the proper nutrients during these critical stages of life will lengthen their lifespan.
- Taste of the Wild is loaded with the perfect variety of healthy fats, carbs, and protein. There’s also a decent amount of fiber, which allows your dog to have a functioning, regulated digestive system. They won’t have to deal with stomach cramps, uncomfortable bowel movements, and other issues.
- You won’t find any fillers in Taste of the Wild. It’s free of corn, wheat, and other additives that don’t do anything for your dog’s health. Much as you read for the Purina Pro Plan ingredients, fillers can be harmful. The ingredients are all chosen for a specific purpose rather than using unnecessary options.
- Taste of the Wild is one of the most expensive dog foods on the market. If you’re looking to cut costs, then it’s not going to be an easy choice. For reference, it’s significantly more expensive than the Purina Pro Plan. However, the price isn’t enough to break the bank. You’ll still be able to feed your dog a healthy meal without struggling.
- There aren’t as many flavors to choose from as there are with Purina Pro Plan. If your dog’s a picky eater, then it might be a challenge to figure out what they prefer. That being said, you can find up to 16 varieties of the wet or dry version in stores and online.
- Although there’s plenty of moisture in the wet and dry meals, there’s not as much as there is in the Purina Pro Plan. It’s still going to keep your dog hydrated and promote good digestion, but it’s worth mentioning if moisture is a top priority. Some dogs who have sensitive mouths might need more moisture.
All prices set aside, it’s important to know which dog food is healthier for your dog. Which one will make them feel energized? How should you choose between either of them if you have a puppy? What about feeding a pregnant dog? There are countless situations in which you should know what food to choose.
If you’re after high-protein content, then you’re in luck. Both foods have plenty of protein to keep your dog healthy. As mentioned earlier in the post, protein is an essential building block for their hearts, brains, and muscles throughout their body. When they’re getting an adequate amount of protein, they can live longer and function at a better pace.
‘Fillers’ is a very negative word in the pet food industry. Many owners recognize that they can cause digestive problems, but they’re also bad because they’re basically empty calories. Your dog won’t benefit from fillers aside from feeling full. While it’s important that they don’t go hungry, it’s even more crucial that they’re not eating without any benefit.
Ingredients are obviously the most important part of dog food. If there are too many fillers, as mentioned above, it can be dangerous. Lean products, such as salmon, chicken, and vegetables, are all the most desired ingredients. Both foods have them, but they’re in different orders. According to the FDA, the ingredients are listed in order of prominence.
The flavor of these dog foods is supposed to be as good as it gets. Compared to most budget-friendly brands, Purina and Taste of the Wild are excellent choices. They’re loaded with moisture for texture while also having dozens of flavors to select.
There are plenty of others, as shown by Purina. Remember that almost all of the flavors come in dry and wet variants. Also, note that the primary ingredient in each flavor is beef, chicken, lamb, turkey, or salmon. In other words, meat is the prominent ingredient rather than wheat, corn, or soy-based additives.
- Wild boat
Although the flavors aren’t as basic as the Purina Pro Plan flavors, they’re not as plentiful. You can find even more delicious options by Taste of the Wild. Much like Purina, the flavor is also the most prominent ingredient in each food.
Regardless of which one you choose, your dog will enjoy the meals. As the owner, you probably know more about what your dog enjoys than anyone else. Test out a few sample flavors or go right for the specific one that they want every time.
If you’re curious about the affordability of Purina Pro Plan and Taste of the Wild, proceed to the next section.
Prices of dog food are always fluctuating, so there’s no way to know what it will be at any moment. However, it’s safe to say that Taste of the Wild is a bit pricier than other brands, including Purina Pro Plan.
As Paw Diet explains, Taste of the Wild’s wet food usually costs around $2.86 per pound, which is significantly higher than most other dog food brands. In fact, it’s upward of $1.00 more per pound. This difference can be enough to make you change your mind, but don’t forget about the irreplaceable nutritional value of this food.
Their dry food costs about $1.91 per pound. While it’s much cheaper than their wet food, it doesn’t have as much protein or moisture, either. Note that wet dog food is always more expensive than dry dog food. Many dogs don’t have problems digesting the wet food, but dry food can be a different story.
On the other hand, the Purina Pro Plan typically costs $2.81 per pound when it comes in the can. For wet food, it’s not too pricey, but it’s still higher than average. It’s about five cents cheaper than Taste of the Wild, but at the cost of a few fillers, including corn. Nevertheless, pet owners with female dogs often believe that corn can be good for calorie consumption.
When it comes to the dry variant of the Purina Pro Plan, Paw Diet claims that it usually costs $1.92 per pound. Yes, that’s about one cent more expensive than the dry version of Taste of the Wild. That being said, different flavors can change the cost due to the ingredients being more expensive. It averages out with most flavors of Taste of the Wild costing a bit more.
Since the ingredients are so similar (aside from a few aforementioned differences), it’s time to consider whether you should choose the wet or dry version from both brands.
Dry dog food is undoubtedly the most common choice because of the price. Many pet owners also believe that the solid texture makes it better for dogs’ bowel movements. However, there are a few notable issues associated with dry dog food, including:
- Without enough moisture, dry dog food can cause disruptions in the digestive system. Even though both brands in this article have plenty of moisture, it’s still not quite enough. If you’re able to, use a bit of wet food in between meals to keep up with their digestion as much as possible.
- Most types of dry dog food use fillers to maintain the structure, including the Purina Pro Plan. Purina does a good job of reducing the number of fillers, often sticking with corn and nothing else. Taste of the Wild manages to make a semi-moist, dry dog food without using any of them at all.
- Since dry dog food has more carbs, it has less protein. You’ve probably gathered the importance of protein in a dog’s diet from this post, so you’ll understand why dry dog food isn’t as beneficial. More carbs and less protein translate to less muscle growth and more fat buildup. Both issues can be combated with proper exercise.
If you’re still having trouble picking one over the other, ask yourself the following questions:
In most cases, Taste of the Wild offers more protein per serving than the Purina Pro Plan. Growing puppies and senior dogs would benefit from more protein, as would pregnant dogs. However, there’s enough in both brands, so it’s not too big of a difference.
If your dog doesn’t eat anything you put in front of them, then they might be a bit picky. That, or you already know exactly what your dog likes. The flavors of the Purina Pro Plan are plentiful and much alike other brands. On the other hand, Taste of the Wild offers unique flavors.
Both brands don’t have wheat, soy, and other fillers. However, the Purina Pro Plan has small amounts of corn, whereas Taste of the Wild is filler-free. Again, the difference is negligible, but it’s worth noting if you’re trying to avoid fillers altogether.
Purina Pro Plan and Taste of the Wild are both top-of-the-line dog foods that your pup would love to chow down. While their differences are hardly noticeable, they could be enough to make you sway one way or the other.
Here’s a quick recap of the post:
- Purina Pro Plan uses corn as a filler, but no others.
- Taste of the Wild is a bit pricier, but it has more protein.
- Wet dog food has more protein and moisture than dry dog food.
- Moisture, fiber, and protein enhance a dog’s digestive system.
- Paw Diet – Purina Pro Plan vs. Taste of the Wild
- Pet Blo – Purina Pro Plan vs Taste Of The Wild
- Gun Dog Forum – Purina Pro Plan vs. Taste of the wild
- Easy Box Shot – Purina Pro Plan vs Taste Of The Wild
Mrdogfood.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. We also participate in other affiliate programs which compensate us for referring traffic.